Friday 16 April 2010

Thank you Arts Trust of Scotland


I'm back on Lewis after a couple of weeks trying not to be run over or buried in avalanches on the mainland (in Edinburgh and Carrbridge respectively), and returned home to the great news that the Arts Trust of Scotland have awarded me a grant to help towards the purchase of some new photography equipment, namely a medium format camera and a decent film scanner. This is a hugely appreciated and useful grant, which is in line with the Trust's objective to facilitate the acquisition of 'tools of the trade' for creative types. I'm looking forward to learning a few new skills getting used to new equipment and potentially finding new sources of income!

I was in Edinburgh for the opening of the RSA's New Contemporaries show over Easter, which runs until the 22nd of this month, and is well worth seeing. Personally (and perhaps predictably) I felt like I had slightly wasted a pretty big opportunity to produce some good work for an illustrious venue, especially when I saw some of the great work on show. However, what is done is done - in the end my initial proposal was refused on health and safety grounds, and I only had a couple of weeks to put together my very modest contribution, but I could have done more.

I am enjoying seeing Grace and the rest of the world in daylight again - the sun starts slowly to tan us, and it is pleasant to be outside. Although it is windy and a little grey today, the memory of the warm weekend is enough to keep me going until the next sunny day.

1 comment: