Tuesday 8 September 2009

PILES

I thought I would share some of the piles of stuff which surround my new house. Everyone has a lot off stuff around here, a remnant of the multitasking crofting culture, which still hangs on here. I'd say maybe 50% of our neighbours have livestock of some sort, in varying numbers, as well as generally having another main source of income. This means that you have to have all the accoutrements which follow and the other amenities required for living slightly detached from mainstream facilities/trades and often on a relatively low income - quads, trailers, lobster pots, roof slates, caravans, ladders.

Because the architecture here is so utilitarian no one's really that fussed about how stuff looks, so these objects, machines and junk are generally just weighted or tied down against the wind and left outside. I have the frustration of not having any of my own stuff in piles - I don't know what might belong to my landlord, or maybe his friends, or what I might be able to use. It's tempting to have so much (possible) scrap lying around.



























No comments:

Post a Comment